Sunday, October 2, 2011

More About the Fire

The air was filled with smoke in the Patterson Addition on Wednesday morning (9/7) and Beck asked me where it was coming from so I told him let's find out. I had no idea where it was coming from but I did want to drive down FM1650 since it was blocked off two days ago. To get to my house, you go over a bridge and all of that was burned up! There's a 2-story home on the right and it was surprisingly still standing. Then, you go up a hill and the fire got up the hill but stopped right before the houses that are there and it did not burn any of Mom and Dad's land. Mom and Dad had about 30 acres of land and Dad's cousin, Ray, had about 10 acres next to ours where he kept a few horses. Ray was out there when the fire was spreading like crazy on Labor Day and I know this because he was on the local news. (Unfortunately, I did not see him on the news. Mrs. Yates told me at church she saw the interview.) After seeing that my childhood home is safe, we drove down (726?) to investigate what we had already seen on Monday and it looked like it was still burning! The smoke was so bad that I couldn't roll down my window to take pictures. Again, very sad to see all of the damage.
DSC_0001

It looked like this tree had fallen in the road and it was pushed back so that traffic could get by...
DSC_0003

DSC_0004

Big tree trunks were still smoldering...
DSC_0005

It looks like there might have been a shed or shack on top of this hill but I'm not sure...
DSC_0006

No comments:

Post a Comment