Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Friday Family Fun Night

On Friday, September 23, the Gilmer Buckeyes played their first home game and it just happened to be Homecoming. (Bonus!) Most of the people that live in Texas love, LOVE, LOVE football! I was especially excited to go because I enjoy the whole ambiance. I certainly don't watch every play that's made by the football team but I do like to cheer them on when they run the ball in for a touch down or yell at the refs when a bad call is made. Then there's the other entertainment that I enjoy such as watching the bands play, watching the cheerleaders flip and flop, watching the majorettes and drill team perform, running into an old friend, but what I love the most is the half time show!
football

football2

football4


Earlier this week, the kids napped at Kiki's house and I went to the high school to meet with Mrs. Donna Lane (Drill Team Director for the Stars). It was fun catching up with her and I really enjoyed watching the girls practice. You have no idea how bad I wanted to dance with the girls. She introduced me to the girls and told them that I'm a charter member. One girl wanted to know what's a charter member and another girl looked at me and said, "I had no idea you were that old." Now that was funny! She also told them that I was the first girl to receive the Star of the Year award and I found out that a scholarship is now included with this award. I wish I could have been awarded a scholarship!
football1

What's really interesting is the band and the drill team sit on the opposing team's side. I understand that Gilmer was in need of the seats for all of the fans but it's weird not having them on the home team's side.
football6

I was so proud of the Stars and wanted to be out on the field with them!
football7

The Gilmer Buckeyes played the Daingerfield Tigers and the first half looked rough. Gilmer made many mistakes and we all commented on how glad we were that we didn't have to listen to the coaches yell at the boys during half time. Whatever was said must have worked because they ended up winning 56-31! Way to go Buxs!

We left after half time because it was 9:30 and both kids were ready to go to bed but they sure had fun! And, they both did great! Beck really got into the game and helped cheer when the crowd cheered...it was so cute!
football3

football5

We can't wait to attend the next two home games!

No comments:

Post a Comment