Sunday, November 13, 2011

Texas Motor Speedway

11.04

This was almost the worst week ever but luckily my sister ended up watching the kids so that I could go to the one thing that I've been looking forward to for a solid month! Let me explain what's been going on...a nasty stomach virus has been going around and Kinsey was the first one to get it in our house. She ended up puking in her crib Friday night and sleeping in it. I didn't know what happened until she woke up the next morning. I walked into a very stinky room! She only had diarrhea once or twice each day so the worst part of her sickness was cleaning up that one incident in her crib. I had to wash the mattress pad, sheet, bumpers and all of the animals in her crib. Brent came home sick on Monday and stayed home on Tuesday as well. Luckily, he did because Beck puked six times on Tuesday and had a little bit of diarrhea so I had the washing machine going all day. I was really dreading getting this virus because we had something special planned for Friday. Beck was better by Thursday so we went to the library and he made a pirate's hat out of newspaper. It was that evening that I broke down and cried. I found out that my baby-sitter (Kiki) was starting to show signs of possibly having this virus. I had played Nurse Mary all week and Brent and I can't remember the last time we went out on a date so the thought of us not being able to spend Friday together broke my heart. The owner of his company and his boss invited us to Texas Motor Speedway to see his driver qualify for the big race plus much more. So, I got on the phone and started making some phone calls. Wendy said she would watch the kids for us...Yippee!!!

We both got up early Friday morning to check on Kiki and she was sick all night so I threw on some clothes to get Wendy and that's when our electricity went out! Urgh!! What else can go wrong? It finally came back on a little after 10am so I fixed my hair, got dressed and we headed to Dallas. I felt like a high school girl going on her first date...so excited!

Bob owns a 3-bedroom condo in the Lone Star Tower which overlooks the race track and to the side of the tower is a pool house. They had fajitas with all of the fixins' for lunch and Brent said the food was delicious. (I didn't eat because I was too busy taking pictures.)
TMS

TMS11

TMS13

Brent's boss, David, took us for a ride on the golf cart to the Nascar trailer to get our Hot Pass. This pass allowed us to see/go anywhere we wanted which was the coolest thing!
TMS1

We went to the track to watch Bob's driver qualify for the big race being held on Sunday and we ran into an old high school friend, Cory and his wife.
TMS9

TMS2

Bob's driver, David Starr, is one of the top drivers in the truck category and this is his first time to drive cars for Bob. I learned that the cars are heavier than a truck and harder to handle. I also discovered that there's not a race track available to practice on so the drivers learn what they can as fast as they can on the practice lap then the following two laps are timed. Unfortunately, David did not qualify. We were on the track by the car when David took off and it was a hair-raising experience when he went flying by! If David had qualified for the race, Bob would have spent $40k on tires from Goodyear.
TMS3

TMS4

TMS5

It was fun seeing all of the equipment and how hard these guys work. Each tire is labeled and bright orange tape is put on each tire before the race so they know how to place it on the car during a pit stop.
TMS6

I did catch Bob laughing even though he was stressed to the max waiting to see if his car qualified. He was standing on top of the trailer watching the other cars qualify. The inside of the trailer has an office, a special area to work on parts and a spare car above our heads! This is a really expensive hobby!
TMS7

TMS8

The owners of the tower have access to golf carts to get around and they had some interesting looking carts. We found one for sale!
TMS10

As I was snapping pictures of the condo, I just happened to get a picture of Kyle Busch on the tv. He's also a big name in the truck category. The truck race was suppose to begin at 7pm but ended up starting at 7:30pm. Wendy hates the dark so we had planned on getting home around 9:30 but we wanted to at least see some of the race so we watched 15 minutes of it. Right as we were leaving the pit crew area, I looked up at the big screen and noticed a car riding really close to another car's back end and that's when Kyle pushed the car in front of him and cause a big wreck! We got to see the crashed truck whiz by us and head to the garage for repairs. That was very exciting!
TMS12

There were two sets of races to qualify for and David was in the first set then we saw Danica Patrick in the second set. She is so tiny!
TMS15

TMS14

I found the trapeze on top of the garages very interesting. And, you had to be very careful walking around by the garages because once a car finished the qualifying process, it would fly around the corner from the race track towards the garage. Another hair-raising experience because these cars can't go slow! The driver in this picture, Carl Edwards, is one of the top drivers in Nascar! I could kick myself for not having anything to get his autograph.
TMS16

The pit crew lined up for the National Anthem then they give high five's to each other before the truck race.
TMS18

TMS17

Our last ride on the golf cart...headed back to the condo to say our good-byes and thank yous. Wow, what a wonderful day! A big thanks to my sister, Wendy, for not only saving the day but for also taking good care of our kids. It sounds like they had a good time as well. We had so much fun and I hope we get invited again!
TMS19

No comments:

Post a Comment