Friday, January 21, 2011

Dallas Cowboys Stadium Tour

It's hard to buy Christmas gifts for Brent so the best option is to try and find unique things. This year, I bought tickets to tour the brand new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX. I was really hoping to get tickets the weekend before Super Bowl but the tickets for that Saturday, January 29th sold out in 15 minutes! So, we went on the afternoon of January 8th at 2:00pm.

When I bought these tickets, I had no idea that we would see the field after the Cotton Bowl game. As part of the tour, we were able to play on the field so we bought a small Cotton Bowl football for Beck and tossed it to each other a few times then we had fun posing! And, it was really neat to see Manuel Johnson's name in the locker room. He's one of the few football players from Gilmer, Texas to go pro. The sign in the football players bathroom cracked me up...it talked about never share a razor, always dispose a razor and never leave a razor in the bathroom.
It was really neat to see all of the details of this building...the blue specks in the tile, light fixtures shaped like a football, Jerry's own special elevator to his suite surrounded by tiny silver tile squares and all of the artwork displayed throughout the stadium.

Our tickets included a 6x8 picture standing on the 50-yard line. However, I was totally bummed that we were not standing on the big star that's usually on the 50-yard line...we stood on the Cotton Bowl logo instead. This picture was taken in the football players locker room.

I can't remember the year I tried out to hopefully become a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader and ironically Brent's sister tried out that very same year. I was shocked and surprised to see her in line that fateful morning. She wore a solid white jog suit and looked stunningly beautiful. It was a year or two after I moved to Dallas from College Station (around 1997?) and I was working as a manicurist at Steven Maxx Salon in Richardson. I also started modeling and the first photographer I went to claimed he knew how to cut hair. He said I would never get work with my long locks so I let him do his thing. After he was done, I looked like Uma Thurman in the Pulp Fiction movie...short bob with super short bangs! Of course I started growing it out because I hated the hair cut. I remember hearing about the try-outs and thought, "that sounds fun!" I quickly learned that you don't decide to try-out at the last minute...girls train for many years to get on the squad. Oh well, at least I can say I tried and it was something that I'll never forget. I do remember Kidd Kraddick was one of the judges and I was SO nervous. Needless to say, I didn't make it past the first cut. I seriously doubt my long locks would have made a difference but I would have felt more glamorous if I had them. After Brent and I started dating, I discovered that he was at the try-outs. Kathleen (aka Kiki) said he needed to be there to support his sister. Who would have thought that we would cross paths again many years later? Seeing the cheerleaders locker room brought back memories of my adventure.

The giant screen expands from the 20-yard line to the 20-yard line...it is incredible to see!

I absolutely love giant sofas/benches...

Memorabilia is all over the place...there's even a picture in the elevator!

Our tour guide said they normally don't allow people in the press box but for some reason we were able to see it. It had glass walls to prevent all of the loose papers the press writes on from flying on the field. Surprisingly, it was the worst seat in the house! We also sat in a suite and the tour guide said it was the worst view but we all agreed that it wasn't bad at all.

At the end of the tour, we were able to sit at the press conference table to see what it's like to be on stage and face the press. And, we saw the Cotton Bowl trophy sitting in a Tahoe as we were walking thru the hallway under the stadium.
After our tour, we ate dinner at On the Border then headed home to relieve Pops and Kiki from baby-sitting duty. They had to drive back to Gilmer since church starts at 9:00am for them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment