Thursday, June 2, 2011

Happy 6-Year Anniversary!!!

To celebrate our anniversary, I contacted Charles since he is a camping expert and asked him to suggest a few places somewhat close for some much needed R&R. He recommended a couple of places...Turner Falls and Glen Rose. I found a cute cabin to stay in at Turner Falls but they won't rent just one night during this time of the year. Then, I found a bed and breakfast in Glen Rose which overlooks the Brazos River and booked it.

Mom and Wendy showed up at our house Saturday morning and that's when our trip began. Brent didn't know where we were going so it was very exciting for me since I have never planned a get-away for us (he usually surprises me). We stopped at Freebirds which is a place that we love but don't visit anymore. We both got the infamous Freebird Burrito and a giant brownie to snack on later. Yummy!


6 year anniversary

Brent finally figured out where we were going and Glen Rose is almost two hours from our house. We ended up getting on this little road where a bunch of cows were running wild...it was crazy seeing them on the road! That's something you don't see everyday especially living in the Dallas area.



6 year anniversary1

We also ran across this really old building and had to explore it...maybe an old gas station?


6 year anniversary2

The owner of Cedars on the Brazos, Janice, was a very nice older woman. She showed us our room, gave us a quick tour of the property and recommended a few restaurants. We just wanted to relax and enjoy the scenary so we put on our swimsuits and headed down to the river. Along the way, we grabbed a couple of chairs and sat in the water enjoying the sun rays. Several people went by us in canoes which looked fun but a lot of work at the same time. Brent found a couple of logs that he wanted to throw in the river.


Me



6 year anniversary4



6 year anniversary6

Do you have tickets to the gun show?


6 year anniversary7

It was getting close to 4pm so we went back to our room to clean up and head to the square because it looked like an art festival was taking place as we came thru town. By the time we got there, it was gone but we enjoyed walking thru the really cute shops. One store owner said we didn't miss anything so that made me feel better. This particular store owner was very talkative and told us almost her entire life story. Anyway, we ended up buying lots of children's books from her because they were so cheap.


6 year anniversary3

We started looking for a restaurant to eat dinner and found riverfront property for sale so we stopped to check it out. The sticker burs there are so much bigger than I've ever seen! We also saw a snake in the river but it was too hard to get a picture of it. The boulders surrounding the river are incredible!!! It was fun checking out the landscaping and we decided to pick up a few river rocks for our place. (Beck enjoyed helping Daddy place them once we got home. We put a few by our pool and he loves to play with them.)


6 year anniversary8

We ended up eating dinner at Los Primos and the food was delicious! I love Mexican food! After dinner we drove around to explore what Glen Rose has to offer and there are actually a lot of kid-friendly things to do such as Dinosaur World, Fossil Rim Wildlife Center which is a place you drive thru and feed the animals while in your car and there's also a Dinosaur Vally State Park. I can't wait to go back when Kinsey is older and explore all of these places.


6 year anniversary9

As I was taking a picture of this giant cactus, Brent decided to break off a piece. We brought it home and Brent planted it next to our gas meter so we'll see if it grows.


6 year anniversary10

It was close to the sun setting so we headed back to the B&B for some yummy dessert. On the way there, Brent pulled over to get more rocks...big ones!

We parked our truck near the "chapel" where many weddings have taken place and the biggest wedding Janice help arrange was over 400 guests! I can't imagine how crazy the parking was for that event!


6 year anniversary11

Janice has helpers that live on her property (100 acres) and I noticed two ladies working in the kitchen so I'm pretty sure they are the ones that made the chocolate cake and lemon pound cake that was offered for dessert that evening. Both were tasty but I think my mom could have blown them out of the water as she makes the best cakes/pies! We enjoyed sitting on the patio watching the water flow and listening to the cows. I was really hoping to catch one cross the river but the bugs were driving me crazy so we went inside.

My idea of sleeping in is getting to sleep past 7am which I did...I got up at 7:50, got dressed and went exploring with my cup of hot chocolate that I requested. I was on a mission to find a cow on her land but never found one. When I got back to our room, it was time to eat breakfast and Brent had already showered and dressed. The breakfast was delicious!!! We had scrambled eggs, thick sausage patties, a cup full of fruit and a big stack of pancakes! Yummy!!! I just wish my glass of oj was bigger. I love a big glass of orange juice in the mornings! And, I wish I had a picture of our wonderful meal. Before leaving, Brent started looking all over our room saying we needed to check and make sure we had everything but I just knew I had my stuff together and said, "I got it." I made no effort in looking...big mistake!!! I think we got about 10 miles from the Bread and Breakfast and as I was looking at the pictures on my camera I had a strange feeling that my camera bag was missing so I started looking for it...couldn't find it! We had to go back and I felt SO bad because I did not look in the room to make sure I had all of my stuff. The roads are curvy and parts of it are rocky so it's not an easy drive to make especially when you are in a hurry. The ladies had already stripped the sheets off of our bed and I saw my camera bag sitting on a little table. I was so relieved that it was still there and that I discovered it missing before we got too far down the road. Whew! I am the worst at leaving things behind!!! I have lost so many things while traveling with Steak & Ale and la Madeleine. I better listen to Brent the next time we travel which will be our big trip to Fake Florida!!!

We finally got home around 12:30pm and mom was ready to head back. She already had her car packed and took off as soon as we got there. She had to drive Wendy to her home then to Henderson so she didn't get home until 4:30pm. I am so thankful for Mom and Wendy watching the kids so we could have a fun little get-away! It was such a nice treat. I can't wait to plan our next adventure for our 7-year anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment