Tuesday, January 6, 2015

MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers)

04.24.14

Our table discussion today is, "What did you do before motherhood?"  I started my career as a manicurist and I was able to do some modeling while having a very flexible schedule.  I did several print jobs when I lived in College Station and one commercial.  Then, I moved to Dallas and was able to work with two modeling agencies.  I also worked at one agency and that's how I was able to get most of my jobs!  Ha!  My friend, Denise, wanted to quit her job and talked her boss into hiring me at Ericsson (cell phone distribution center in Allen, TX).  My first month or so was awful because I had no clue what I was doing and this job required for me to create query's in a database known as Access that I'd never used before.  Needless to say, I learned a lot about computers!  Then, the distribution center shut down so I decided to go to college and study marketing.  After getting an education, I got a job at MRG (Metromedia Restaurant Group) in the training department.  It was a fun job!  My boss went back to her old company, la Madeleine, as well as my other co-worker and they asked me to interview for the same job I had.  I made the right decision taking this new job because MRG slowly shut down and I was able to work at la Madeleine until Kinsey was born.  It was an awesome job but being a mommy meant more to me.  I obviously didn't share all of this with my table but I would like for Beck and Kinsey to know a little bit of my history.

Devotional Time
Golden Key to a Happy Marriage
2 Corinthians 9:6-8, "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 

Four Things To Do
1. Put away the scoreboard.  (He spent $400 on golf so I get to spend money on new clothes.)
2. Focus on what your spouse likes.
3. Don't neglect intangibles. (Give credit for good idea.)
4. Give without expecting in return. (God loves a cheerful giver.)

Our speaker today is Carrie; mother of five and I enjoyed her message and stories.  She gave us a sheet to fill out and here it is...
10 Things I wish I would have known when I became a Mother
(Lessons I had to learn from falling flat on my face and having regular meltdowns)
1. A Mother must always self parent first. Every once in a while, ask your child, "What is mommy passionate about?  What is daddy passionate about?"
2. Our car does not run on empty!  And neither do we!  Jeremiah 2:13, "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water."  (Ask God to fill you; sleep is so important!)
3. Pursue your man! Let him know that he has priority in your heart!
4. LESS is so much more!  Simplify your stuff; simplify your time.  (declutter)
5. Train, don't blame!  (Use a chart to achieve goal. Train your kids to the standard we want them to behave.)
6. Develop motto's! Let them characterize you! No fussing! (You have rewarded them and that's why they keep fussing.)  Life is not fair! We are happiest when we are not seeking happiness!  Consumption without contribution leads to entitlement!
7. My face is my ministry!  (Smile a lot! Focus on positive!)
8. When you feel like shouting, try whispering!  Get down on their level!  (Every once in a while, ask the kids, "What would you change about mommy?  What would you change about daddy?" 
9. Capture your child's heart!  (Mommy/me time - play with them.  Give them the opportunity to tell you if somebody hurt their feelings at school.)
10. Parent for character NOT for comfort!

We met Kiki and Marcus for dinner tonight and it was so much fun watching them laugh! They are going to spend the night with us then we are going to the zoo tomorrow!
Tyler Zoo with Kiki and Marcus1

Tyler Zoo with Kiki and Marcus2

Tyler Zoo with Kiki and Marcus3

Tyler Zoo with Kiki and Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment