Monday, April 12, 2010

Happy Birthday Beck Lee!!!

Two years ago on April 7th, my water broke at work but I didn't realize it because it was a slight leak all day. Late that afternoon, I talked to the nurse at my doctor's office and she told me to go to the hospital. I had a feeling that they would send me home because it was too soon for Beck to be born. Plus, I wasn't ready...I had nothing packed and had not washed his clothes in Dreft to keep him from getting a rash. We had not toured the hospital yet so I had no idea where to go. I called Brent and he met me at the hospital. Turns out that my water had indeed broke and I was having contractions and didn't even know it!

The nurse checked me several times that evening then finally decided to give me pitocin which helps speed up the process of having a baby. They also determined that I did have preeclampsia which is probably why Beck was born early. [Preeclampsia can be deadly for the mother and baby. It can keep the baby from getting enough blood and oxygen. It can also harm the mother's liver, kidneys and brain. The only cure for preeclampsia is having the baby.] Once my contractions reached to a 4 or 5, then I requested the epidural. The nurse checked me one more time and said, "Something doesn't seem right." She did a sono and realized the baby was breech. Seems like she would have noticed this when I first arrived at the hospital and then I would not have gone through many hours waiting for Beck's arrival, the pitocin and the painful contractions. So, they immediately got Brent dressed in scrubs and rushed me to the operating room.
At 3:35am on April 8th, Beck was born at 6 lbs. 12 oz which is a healthy sized baby being 3-4 weeks early. Needless to say, I was completely exhausted and could not keep my eyes open in the recovery room. The nurses were trying to tell me all kinds of stuff and all I wanted to do was go to sleep.

Baby Beck has been our little angel ever since the day he was born. For his first birthday, we had a very simple and small party in Gilmer at Pops and Kiki's house. This year, his birthday landed on a Thursday so I baked cupcakes to take to Mrs. Linda's house then we had a big birthday party on Saturday.

Happy Birthday Beck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment