Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Our 7-year Anniversary and the Stars 25-year Anniversary

05.05.12

We made it to the 7-year itch and I told Brent that we need to conquer this year so that we can have many more wonderful years together.  We both agreed to not buy each other anything since we are saving money for our future home but Brent surprised me with a new iPhone and I absolutely love it!!!  I haven't been able to take pictures with my old phone so the very first app that I downloaded was Instagram and it's been so much fun taking pictures and being able to immediately post them on facebook.  Unfortunately, our anniversary was filled with Beck's soccer game and the Stars Drill Team Anniversary reception and spring show.  I'm still waiting for our date night...

Several months ago, I contacted Mrs. Lane and asked her if she needed any help with the anniversary.  She said, "yes, let's talk."  So, we got together and she asked me to contact all of the former Stars using facebook and let them know about the anniversary reception and asked me to get cake and punch for the reception.  I created a group page on facebook and with the help of some former Stars, we had almost 160 members out of 215 former Stars.  I was very, very happy with the efforts made on this page.  Several former Stars posted pictures of the past and it has been fun for all to see these pictures. 

For the reception, I contacted Edible Art and met with the owner showing her pictures of the first drill team uniform and the current drill team uniform.  She showed me a drawing of what the cake would look like and I couldn't wait to see it.  I knew I wanted to do an Orange Dreamsicle punch but thought there should be a little more since it started at 4:30 and ended at 6:30 then the spring show started at 7pm.  Not much time for dinner which led me to making 75 star-shaped sandwiches, about 90 star-shaped cheese and about 100 star-shaped sugar cookies with orange sugar crystals.  I would have never been able to get the cookies made without mom's help.  The budget was very small which is why I ended up making all of the appetizers.  Being a charter member, I have a great love of this group and didn't mind doing this at all...plus, I am the party planner so I enjoyed every minute of it!
stars anniversary

stars anniversary1

stars anniversary2
(Lindsey, Leigh, Me and Mrs. Lane)

Below is a picture of my lil sis from 24 years ago and my actual sister.  It's hard to believe that Leigh and I have been friends for that long!  Wendy really enjoyed the spring show.
stars anniversary3

One table was decorated with awards and the other table represented the first three years (1987-1990).  I actually found the pep rally uniform we wore Mrs. Lane's first year and my "Star of the Year" award.  BTW, I was the first girl to receive that award.  I absolutely love the uniform on the right side of the picture but have never seen the girls wear it.  There were only three home games this past year so maybe they wore this uniform at the away games. 
stars anniversary4

stars anniversary5

The ladies below are crucial to the Stars.  Kathleen made it all happen by talking Wesley, who was on the school board, into getting everybody else on board with the idea of having a drill team so that girls who didn't want to be a cheerleader or a majorette would have another option.  Boy, am I glad she and Wesley got this ball rolling.  I was a super shy girl in high school and always wanted to be a majorette which is why I was in the band but was way too shy to try out!  I knew how to twirl but never had the guts to try out.  I'm not sure what possessed me to try out for the very first drill team group but I did and I made it!  Mrs. Eatherton was our first director and then Mrs. Lane took over the second year and has been with this group ever since.  She's a former Rangerette and taught at many drill team camps.  She is one special lady because this job is very demanding and I can't imagine dealing with the drama of high school girls for 24 years!  You deserve a gold star Mrs. Lane!
stars anniversary6

stars anniversary8
(Kim S.' Mom, Mrs. Lane, Kim P's daughter Mia, Christy, Felicia and Me)

stars anniversary9

1970's Tribute...
stars anniversary10

This is my favorite part of the show...the final high kick routine!
stars anniversary11

I'm so glad to be a part of this group.  It was a fun night and look forward to the next anniversary celebration.  A big thanks to mom for helping me make cookies and watching the kids!  A big thanks to Wendy for helping make sandwiches and a big thanks to Kathleen for letting me borrow her beautiful serving pieces that made the table look fabulous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment